Monday, October 29, 2007

Big oops on spaghetti squash

I had run across mentions of spaghetti squash and how you can substitute it for pasta, but never sought it out. Perhaps if I had, I would have cooked it better. But it's moments like this that make me marvel that I'm not a bigger culinary klutz than I am. I haven't given myself food poisoning yet. That has to count for something.

I found spaghetti squash for 98 cents at Wal-Mart on Saturday. I had to cook it on Sunday or it would go bad in the fridge. Pull up the latest post I saw about spaghetti squash, then went to All Recipes. One of the comments at All Recipes said to bake it whole, so I did. Then I cut it open and found seeds. Nobody said anything about seeds.

I ended up baking it for a little longer after I cut it open, the scooped out the stringy center with the seeds. Everybody said scoop out the strings, but nobody said anything about seeds. So I scooped out the strings and the seeds and threw the inch-thick rind away.

Dad didn't like it but he accidentally ate a seed. Mom said I probably needed to cook it longer, but my sauce was great. I was really annoyed because I would have to buy 15 of them in order to get enough to go with the amount of sauce I make. And what the hell was up with the seeds! Wal-mart getting mutant squashes or something? Luckily I had Barilla pasta to cook so the sauce wouldn't go to waste.

When I got back to the computer I read all the comments attached to the blog. And one of those commenters said that you scooped out the stringy center and seeds and bake and THEN scoop out the rinds for the noodle squash bits.

I threw away the part you eat.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

There is a new renaissance festival in Louisiana! Check out the Acadiana Medieval Faire at: http://www.acadianafaire.org/

No comments: