Sunday, August 06, 2006

OW! OW! OW! Otherwise known as Chaucerian Cooking Part 2



10:27am - chicken is finally done and I found another needed kitchen item: platters! I sure can't serve a formal holiday meal out of my house. I substituted a square cake pan.



Bread in pan; it would look better on a platter. *Sigh*



Finished at 10:45am! Lessons: need platters and need to learn how to present food attractively. Also don't cook as long because chicken is coming off the bones.

Tastes like chicken that needs salt to me even though the broth is green. Still need to experiment with the full bone and pay better attention to the cooktime.

I have nearly an hour before the pork broth is done, so I better start on the other meats for Mortreaux.

Mortreaux: I'm cheating a bit. I have no intentions of grinding meat with my mortar and pestle. What I expect to do is make friends with a butcher and get the bones, ground up chicken and pork from him! I cheated and made friends with the blender for this go-round.



Now for what I'm not looking forward to--chicken livers. Okay, it only takes 2 chicken livers to get 1/4 cup. Some critter is going to have field day with what I threw out tonight. No, Kindra doesn't eat fried livers.



Meat is ready, wash dishes while waiting on broth.



11:50am - started the pesen.



Noon - start to strain pork broth. Must find a canned version. This is too much work for 1 cup. But the pork broth is done, and I can now start on the Gode Broth.

12:15pm - Pesen ready for spices.



12:30pm - Pesen and Gode Broth done. Have to remember to do something with the pork steaks used for broth-making. Starting on the Mortreaux.



Gode Broth after meat is added.



Mortreaux after breadcrumbs and spices are added.



12:55pm - Mortreaux is finished. That's a sugar and ginger mixture on top. Now I have to start on the rest of the veggie dishes.





1:30pm - started Braised Spring Greens and grinding almonds.



1:45pm - Braised Spring Greens are done. Starting Golden Leeks and Onions.



Finished Golden Leeks and Onions. Go feed MawMaw. She liked everything. I got back at 3:05pm with one last dish to cook: Fecches.

First you have to make the almond milk to use in it. Simple receipe: 1 cup ground almonds to 2 cups boiling water. You're supposed to seep the almonds in the water first, and if you don't like the consitency, run it through a blender.

Weeeellll, I'm pretty tired by this point as you have seen. So I decided to put the ground almonds and boiling water from the teakettle into the blender and hit Blend (number 7 speed for this 7-speed blender.) The top wasn't on very tight but I was being a good blender operator and holding it down with my left hand. It didn't help.

3:15pm - Hot almond milk exploded from the top of the blender and my left hand was in the pow! zone. Luckily I still possessed enough sense to stop the blender and I was right next to the sink for cold water. But it hit the inside of my wrist and HURT.



Yeah, the towel was for take two, since I still had to finish the almond milk. That's also when I found out I messed up the steps.



But it turned out pretty good, if a little thick.

So at 3:25pm, I start the lima beans for the Fecches, wrap my wrist in an ice pack to stop the pain, and am prepared to finish cooking one handed. Sat down at the computer to nurse my wounds and catch up on email.

4:05pm - water all gone and beans burned. Gave up for the day.

Went to the gym and got my exercise in. The wrist is fine now, only still a little pink but it doesn't hurt to touch it.

I've hoped you've enjoyed this episode of cooking with Kindra.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

No comments: