Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I need an Alice*

*Not referring to Resident Evil.

I'm tired. I'm cranky. I'm having a second dose of Diet Dr. Pepper, which isn't going to help me sleep better tonight. I managed to get out of the house on time this morning by not working out, not packing breakfast and lunch, and not doing chores.

I haven't finished my reading for tonight's class nor have I wrote the annotated bibliography card that's due tonight. On a good note, I at least got all the articles I'm going to use for those cards so when I get a minute I can churn them out in a fell swoop.

I would love to hack and slash away all the things that I have to do that are keeping me from doing the things I want to do. Not happening any time soon. I'll be back to finish my humorous thoughts for this post once the assignment is done.

Finished the annotated bibliography card, so now the rest of the story.

The past two days have had me scrambling to get things together in the morning so I can get to work on time and looking at everything chore-wise that I haven't had time to do, I had a great thought Tuesday that was only reinforced today. I need an Alice, the housekeeper on the Brady Bunch.

Not that I'm a huge fan of the Brady Bunch (it was a syndicated show that amused my sisters) and Alice's role always bothered me. Stay-at-home moms are the housekeepers; you don't hire the job out unless you are uber-rich. And is she just there to help the grown-up side not be as outnumbered?

But I can see the benefits of having someone else handled the cooking, dishes, laundry, vacuuming, and dusting on my schedule and sanity. And have breakfast and lunch packed so I can run out the door faster.

A house elf from Harry Potter would work too. And I'm totally down with ethical treatment for them.

Unfortunately, I remember the last time I got this bright idea. I couldn't afford it. And since I haven't budgeted for a cleaning service, it's probably safely out of my budget. I doubt that the bulk of the prices cleaning services charge is going to the ones that actually do the work. (Another incongrous thought is I should have started a cleaning service when I had time and was broke as an undergraduate.) Hiring a person from the classified ads has another set of problems.

Which is the aggravation that makes me want to growl. I need the break, not even for leisure time but so I can concentrate on other things. I did some searching and found a couple of companies in Hammond now. I doubt anything is going to change.

On the big huge flip-side, it might be worth the peace of mind just to take the $500 out of savings and buy a f*cking portable dishwasher since it's the dishes in the sink that trigger these "I'm a deficient housekeeper" episodes.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

There is a new renaissance festival in Louisiana! Check out the Acadiana Medieval Faire at: http://www.acadianafaire.org/

No comments: