Wednesday, September 08, 2004

The Blue Man Plan

I've reached the point in the manuscript where I'm not sure where I'm going. Rather than groping blindly for my plot, I'm going to plan more than I actually do.

Cyndia--who will become Zy--has just met Murdock and learned that the blue man she saw on the porch is Thirsten, an escaped serial killer. His compulsion to kill whole families is found in an astronomy myth of his homeworld that he now believes in. Sacrifice done in the name of the gods gives you their power. How do you show the gods their names? By copying the pattern of their constellations on the ground. (Earth counterpart: there have been some interesting studies that many ancient monuments were built designed on constellations.) Cyndia will be the one to figure this out from the scattered research done on Thirsten, which will given them the ability to capture him before he strikes his next target.

What I want to happen between now and then? Cyndia helps Murdock get inside the Millers' murder scene via robot. I also want to move Murdock out of the spaceship and into Cyndia's bedroom (not like that, you perverts), but they haven't reached that point in their relationship yet. Another slaughter, at least one.

I need to do some more brainstorming on my location. Now I'm picturing a subdivision built out in the middle of nowhere, and the city and the rest of the suburbs haven't caught up yet. So the woods are no longer part of a park, but actual wilderness bordering the subdivision.

Now I'm kind of stuck. I'm using "How to Write a Damn Good Mystery" to figure some of this out and it's at home. Oh well, have plenty of typing to catch up on.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

No comments: