Monday, October 04, 2004

I give up on dating

Really I am. Some nice romantic activity that everyone else in the world thinks of as a date. Why? Because I have the boyfriend who cannot communicate.

HE came up with the seeing "Vertigo" tonight. Free showing at the Columbia Theater starting at 7pm. At 6:30, I was still sitting in goddamned Baton Rouge traffic. I call. "Okay we'll see you when you get here."

I actually make it to the theater by 7:07pm. No mean feat. Slosh through the rain in my nice clothes that I have been in all day in anticipation of a nice date thingy. No Chad outside theater waiting for me. Go to restroom since the trail mix and Diet Dr. Pepper I had in the car ride have hit. Get inside the theater. Still no sign of Chad and they're ready to start the movie. I plop down in the first available seat and proceed to cry because my boyfriend doesn't care enough about me to wait outside the goddamned theater.

Meanwhile Chad is waiting for me to show at Rick's house and is convinced I've been in a car wreck. Calls my house and calls my cell phone, which I left in the car so not to distrub people in the theater. 8 times.

When we finally connect, I'm upset. I've wasted my getting all pretty, rushing through exercising and the damn traffic, and I'm starving. The first thing he does is grab his shit so he can bail out of Rick's. No huggies, no kissies. Oh yeah sure he was really worried about me. Even more upset.

And dinner? Wendy's I got all dressed up for fast food that I had to eat alone because he already had supper and the nicer restaurants of Hammond all close at 10pm.

I am happy to say that I did not break the glass at Wendy's yelling at him. I just broke the glass in my car. And we made up, after about an hour of whatever it was we were doing. I was spating; he was whimpering and apologizing. And I've given up on Kenny Wayne Shepard, and Sky King or anything else that is not planned by Jamie or connected to RenFaire. It's just not going to happen.

I don't think I'm so out of line to ask to be swept off my feet just a little. Not to have to share a special evening with everyone we know. Not to have to make any of the plans, do any reminders, get some flowers.

Oh who am I kidding? Of course I'm out of line. Real romance NEVER works that way.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

No comments: