Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Eowyn dress notes Day 1

I've been heavily influenced by dress diaries lately. So I tried my hand at keeping notes while working on the Eowyn Refugee Dress. So here are those notes, hopefully I can remember to expanded the really short ones.

Eowyn Refugee Dress Project

Project goal

Unfortunately, the digital camera is battery-less and I can't take really crappy pictures of my progress. Seriously, it's a cheap camera and the resolution is awful.

First Step - analyze pattern and take measurements. I bought McCall's 3653 because it had a sideless surcoat. It looks like I can also get the blue underdress out of the same pattern. I don't need to go so wide at the bottom. The film dress has a flare, but this looks like it has material to trip on. Measurements say I should be a size 20, finished garmet size 18. I think I'll be measuring before I cut peices.

Second Step - pick and wash the material. Prepare tea dye. I borrowed Mom's stock pot and am brewing eight family size tea bags now. When the dresses are onstructed, I'm going to soak it in the tea. Hopefully overnight so the blue and the red get dark. Most people would tea dye the material before sewing, but since it's the perfect red for pirate pennants I'm just going to dye the finished gown.

Fold laundry, wash dishes, pick up while waiting on washer and drier. Put in Sleepy Hollow so I can watch the end again while doing chores. After Sleepy Hollow, I put in a CD of Anime Music Videos. The tea smells great.

Third Step - cutting out peices. Blue material finished first so now to get the undergown started. Trying to figure out what size of the tissue to cut out isn't as easy as it sounds. To make things easy on me, I'm going with a size 18. I'll have to do a fitting.

11:30p.m. and I'm stopping for the night. My feet have gone numb. I've only gotten one peice cut out, the second laid out, and the rest identified and I haven't even started on the red material yet. I'm hoping to finish the cutting out before I go to work in the morning.

Read Free!
The BookWorm


No comments: