Thursday, October 28, 2004

Eowyn Dress Notes Day 3

For what has gone on before, see Day One and Day Two.

12:25a.m. - Back panel finished. Time to fit again. Looking pretty good. Too bad I don't have a working camera. Not too full at the bottom, so yeah chopping the hemline at the beginning has worked so far. (Now realize I didn't do as good of fitting as I should have. Checked the hem, and placed panels together but didn't pin them. Had I pinned them, I might have seen the problem I found before work.)

12:50a.m. - Body of underdress finished. Now neck peices.

1:05a.m. - Yes, I finally got the iron-on interfacing to work right!

1:25a.m. - Sewing machine is protesting sewing through interfacing. Probably have something set wrong. I'm taking a thirty minutes nap.

2:00a.m. - Decided I better jump to the surcoat so it can soak in the tea dye. Discovered I have to have peice 11 at least two. I'm really not crazy about this pattern.

3:00a.m. - I don't know fucking anything about altering patterns. (Discovered that I had to have four panels of peice 11. Made the last two as skinny as I could, so not to add to the bottom circumfrence.)

5:00a.m. - Well, I have something resembling an undress in blue and something resembling a sideless surcoat in red. No time for tea dye. I also skipped a lot of steps. Underdress: neck opening facing, trimming the sleeve seams, hemming. Surcoat: installing lining correctly, loops for laces, trim.

Perfectionist me hates it. It's not even close to what Eowyn wore. I've got a wooden sword and a coffin shield (yes, I know the Rohan have circular but I was out of time and money). so I won't look any worse than the ones who bought their costumes. And then the bodice of the underdress is too small.

But I wore it all day long proudly. When I wasn't yawning my head off.



I didn't place. The two groups had hilarious skits.

What have I learned from all this? I hate McCalls' patterns. I seriously doubt any recreation Mideval gown needs fiftenn to sixteen peices. I need a new pattern for a sideless surcoat. I learned I can't sew in a hurry. I learned to get material that the wrong side is easily discernable or else mark it. I learned I can't sew when I'm sleepy. I learned to research before I buy materials.I've learned my seams always correct ease-of-fit issues (I make big seams.) and I should go with the package recommendations. Cutting two sleeves doesn't work one on top of the other; pattern must be flipped.

Reflections: I'd like to try it again, but with a saner budget if time and money. Or maybe I should try chainmail?



Read Free!
The BookWorm

No comments: