Thursday, January 31, 2008

Thesis Quest The End

Yeap, it's over before it even begun.

Tuesday after getting an answer from Financial Aid about the loan money, I went to see my adviser. Now just to recap, everybody I had asked to be my thesis director had told me "no." I needed to find out if I could take all six hours of thesis in the fall, when hopefully the timing would be better for any professor.

"Yes, you can but why do you need to?"
"To graduate and to have six hours for the federal guidelines with financial aid."
"But you can graduate with just coursework."
"Okay, I just dealt with Financial Aid for two hours. Explain slowly."

There are two tracks offered by the English Department. Pick a concentration, take 30 hours of coursework, 6 hours of thesis and produce the thesis, then take what is called the comps. exam (essay test on an assigned novel and critical theory about it). Track #2 is pick a concentration or jump into the literature one, take 36 hours of coursework, pull a long paper for one of those classes and work with the professor who first graded it to revise it into something publishable, then take the comps. exam.

With the class I have this semester, I have ended up with 36 hours. I can revise the paper and take the comps. exam in the Fall semester, and provided I pass everything, do the graduation walk in December. The only fees I would have to pay is graduation fees ($10 if I pay before February 15th, but I'm also thinking about gown and invitations). I do need to ask if the fees carry over to the next semester if you don't pass the first go around. I'm planning on it, but I need to know.

Now I just have to find a professor and a paper I want to work with for three months. :p

I'm kind of at odds with the decision too. One part is "yeah, light in tunnel!" but another part was looking forward to actually getting through the process. This is the second time I have avoided a thesis. Scholars' College made undergraduates do one, but by the time it got to my year, I was suffering from burnout so bad, I jumped ship to Northwestern's regular undergraduate program and got out. I know I have no reason to actually do a thesis with a Masters', but I did tell myself from go, I would get it done this time around. And now I'm not.

Still I hope this means I can deal with my completion issues and jump into the submissions process now.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

There is a new renaissance festival in Louisiana! Check out the Acadiana Medieval Faire at: http://www.acadianafaire.org/

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome news! :)

Anonymous said...

*giggling hysterically* Let me get this straight- you're bummed BECAUSE you not only dodged the thesis bullet, you get to graduate by the end of the year? May I kick you smartly upside the head to reorient your thinking there, bro?

That's just awesome news! Hey, does this save you any $ in school loans and such?

And forget about the thesis thing, here's a chance to drop a huge load of stress right off your shoulders in one stroke!!! Think of all the time you'll have for OTHER writing that won't be sucked up by working on your thesis!!

Yay! *does the happy dance for you*

KLCtheBookWorm said...

ARGH! Just spent 10 minutes writing a funny articulate post in response, and Blogger ate it. *Mutters threatening incantations at Blogger.*

To sum up: Never claimed my emotions make any sense. My poor logic can only look on my bundle of screwed-up-ness and sigh.

I was looking forward to 70 pages of fiction with face to face editing.

Money and writing personal issue demons get another blog post.

I am amused by my inconsistency too.