Friday, April 16, 2004

Friday at last

Quote of the Day: A writer is someone who cannot not write. ... Consider the opposite: a nonwriter is someone who can write or not, who does not have the drive and need to put words to paper. A writer is someone who looks forward to the day's work, even if it lasts only an hour or two before the writer has to dash to a job that supports him and his family until such happy time that the writing itself may be economically rewarding. On those days when external circumstances prevent his writing, a writer feels a hollowness, an absence, a longing. -- Sol Stein How to Grow a Novel (xiv - xv)

It's come a few times. Other things preventing my writing or having to skip the writing time altogether. Chad really not understanding it. Red saying she's in love with the idea of writing.

I first recognized I was different back in 1993 or 1994. I can remember the time frame, but not the exact dates. I had finished writing my first Legend of Zelda fanfic and encouraged my friend Mervin to write a fanfic on Mega Man. He finished it, and another friend left it in his locker at the end of the school year. Hope the janitor enjoyed; I never got a chance to read it.

My first response was "Too bad, when will you start writing it over?" And I got THAT LOOK--the one that says why in the world did you just say that. Mervin said he wasn't.

I realized I would rewrite it. I may always feel the first was better and the second was an inferior copy, but I would rewrite.

It's not bragging. I have lost a story due to someone stealing my folder, and I rewrote and hate that story. I still have issues trying to remember everyone is not like that. Same issues I have with people not reading. How can you go a whole day without reading?

Oh well guess this post doesn't have a point.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

No comments: