Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Experiment's Progress

Quote of the Day:The great English writer and courtier Sir Philip Sidney wrote A Defense of Poetry to counter Puritan objections to what we would call fiction, the making up of stories. In his essay he addresses the morality of making up stories by asking what it is that history teaches us. He gives the example of two Roman emperors named Severus. One was cruel and evil; the other good. The evil Severus prospered and died of old age at sixty-five. The good Severus at age twenty-seven was murdered by his own soldiers. As Sidney's example shows, it is hard to make any sort of lesson out of history. Stuff happens. To make stories out of stuff, we must reshape it so that there are cause-and-effect relationships. -- J. Madison Davis Novelist's Essential Guide to Creating Plot 33

I've decided to work on Zy's novel again. Every two years seems to be the norm with that one, but I plan on finishing it this time. It's a little less ambitious than the Chosen, and it has a smaller cast of mani players than the crossover, so hopefully I should be finished with it before three years. I'm not starting from scratch, still having all the rough drafts from the beginning, when I tried working on in it in 1998, and when I tried working on it again in 2002. To make sense of all that I'm using a lot of the suggestions found in the Novelist's Essential Guide to Creating Plot by J. Madison Davis.

Sunday, I finished the plot outline from the murderer's POV. Very important because the murder victims are discovered out of chronological order. I started working on the plot outline from Zy's POV yesterday and got about halfway through with it. Next I'll do one from Xeryl's POV. Then it'll be play with them until I know which scenes must be written and what order I should put them in.

Traffic wasn't that bad going home, but I forgot I had to go shopping last night. Tonight I should be able to go straight home.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

No comments: