Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Progress is slow

Of course that was the reason why I saved the office cleaning for last. I shoved everything into boxes (I think there is seven or eight of them) and shoved the boxes to the outside of my desk. Nothing is allowed to cross the desk unless it's filed. Items to keep are scanned and then thrown away. Some just get thrown away.

I didn't get a chance to chip away at the boxes last night. I finally got to the library for research into my homework assignments and an after class chat with my professor over revising my paper. I need a thesis, which is a verdict I'm not disagreeing with. My initial view was what detective genre rules are broken, but the story isn't a detective story per se, but a mystery about a detective's past and how he reconstructs his view of himself. All that aside, When We Were Orphans is a damn fine read, which it would have to be to make me so utterly frustrated with the main character. Yes, that frustration was on the surface on my first draft according to my professor. Though maybe not a bad thing, I tend to write better nonfiction when I'm in a tiff about the subject.

I did reach over 400 words on Zy's novel this morning. Unfortunately, it is all background stuff. I don't mind the break because it is character blanks that need to be filled. But I also don't want to spoil anything so I can't post it. And looking at my daily word count list, I'm stuck with it because I didn't bring my school work today. *Sigh*

Oh and I forgot to tell you I finally got a haircut. I've gone from waist-length straight hair to shoulder-length straight hair. Donated a foot all the way around to Locks for Love. I think my preferrred length is about mid-back, but I had too many split ends to try to keep it longer. Neck doesn't hurt since either. LOL That's a lot of weight. But it'll grow back.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

2 comments:

KLCtheBookWorm said...

*Snort* You don't have to wade through the boxes to get to any point in my house, do you?

Progress in this post has everything to do with cleaning and nothing to do with writing, which is going great albeit background info that a reader of the novel will never see.

KLCtheBookWorm said...

I'm not a minimalist, and I do try to keep things down to what means something to me. But it's also a genetics and nuture battle; my sisters and I are the third generation of packrats.

I do try with the furniture but I get gang up on. The coffee table only entered because Mom and Chad brought it there. And Mom has had it since the beginning of her marriage and Chad wanted it for his lap top. And I'm dealing with the papers so they don't end up stacked on the coffee table which is what I've seen in every relative's house growing up.

Papers are my weakness, though I like to look at it as I've been well trained not to throw anything written away. Scanning is my compromise with myself. I can through the bulky paper away and put all the information on a CD.

Course, that means actually DOING the scanning...