Friday, November 18, 2005

If I could just wear jeans everyday, I wouldn't have this problem

6am, leaving home and I realize I don't have my organizer which has my life in it. Driver's License, debit cards, checkbooks, student id, my life. The last place I remember seeing it, packing up my bags leaving class last night. So 6:30 had me back on campus. Not in the classroom, the janitor didn't have it. The police didn't have it. Woke Chad up to check my school email. Nobody emailed me about it. Found my professor's door. No Friday office hours. Had to wait until 7:45 when the English department finally opened. No, they didn't have it, could only get my professor's answering machine at home. Go home to wait for the professor to call and start emailing my classmates. 8:30am it's turned into the department. It's 9am but I get it back, safe and sound, and finally make it my job by 10am.

I'm rather proud of myself. Only had mild hysterics after seeing the "no Friday office hours" sign and I did it before anybody else showed up on that floor. I'm going to have to start carrying a purse just so I will stop leaving that damned thing places, and I'm not looking forward to that. But not it's starting to happen about once a month.

Now to explain the title. In my college years, I kept everything condensced to a man's wallet, which went in my back pocket. Checkbooks kept at home under lock and key. Anything bulkier in the booksack. If I didn't need the booksack, wallet in pocket. Purse is an anchor to a feminist. I never lost the damn wallet. Unfortunately, in the working world I'm in, they limit your jeans to Fridays. Dress slacks usually don't have pockets, and if they do there's usually only room for one key. I had to get a purse. I resisted. I finally broke into using an organizer that has pockets for cards and money and a calculator as well as more paper than I can possibly need (I wonder if the executive types they are designed for actually take that many notes). I keep leaving it places. I usually stick it in my black bag with all my writing essentials, but I don't take that everywhere I go. It needs to be permanently tied to my body, which means a ... purse.

I will not have hysterics at work.

Bleauh, kill time with research today. I don't feel like dealing with any characters.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I refuse to wear a purse, even when I was working and not at home :P I had my bekpack (which at the time was a one shoulder sling bag) :)

Though I'm me and a purse would probably get me into too many fights with attempted bag snatchers :P

Sharp said...

I have the perfect solution for all your carrying needs: A messenger bag. All of the storage, none of the sexism. The key is to sling it over your opposite shoulder, across your chest; as opposed to a purse, which goes over one shoulder. Personally, I use my laptop bag - same thing.