Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Ugh on a Tuesday

Yesterday was spent trying to get caught up on yard work--i.e. clean up after Katrina and Rita--and catch up on stuff I needed from the library for the Monday night class. I managed to work outside for 2 hours before reaching the almost loopy stage from the heat. Mind you I did take an hour long drink as much water as you can hold between the two. I got the front yard between the oak tree and the camilla tree from my front porch to those two trees cleared.

INSERT PHOTO OF FRONT YARD

I burned the pile of debris that Chad and I had gathered post-Katrina, and that was the "big" stuff. There's still scattered mess in the back yard, as well as dealing with where the burn pile was that Chad wants to turn into a garden. I haven't had the energy to argue with him over how a garden is going to be cared for since all I do is drive and he's living with his mother. I guess Mustard is supposed to pull up weeds.

We still need to cut down the other crepe myrtle. I was extremely lucky Rita didn't knock it down. It's too close to the house to just let it fall when it wants to go. The cedar and the camilla both need trimming, though the camilla is supposed to be after it's bloomed. I need to trim the gardenia and hydragena bushes.

And then there's the fig tree. Okay, the fig tree is ancient as far as fig trees go. We're supposed to start new plantings off of it because it won't last much longer. The center of it came crashing down with Rita. I can't see through the weedy undergrowth too see how bad the damage is (my fear of snakes got a couple of shocks this past weekend and I have avoided poking into the mess.) so again, I'm waiting.

By 1 p.m. I had bathed and went to lunch on campus. Then I marched to the library to get the essays on Great Expectations. I couldn't check the book because of fines. Turns out all the books I had out for the Resource Guide were due Sept. 22. Oops. Plus they still had my $4 that I payed off at the beginning of the semester listed. Went back home to renew the books, got two of the essays needed copied, and read for class. Went to class and discovered that I had more essaies to copy from the book. Signed up for a presentation on postcolonialism lit. theory. I don't even know what that is. Okay I think I know what it is, blame the white man through his novels. Mind you, that won't be the attitude I use for the presentation. Watch while the only other person I sorta know in the class--she just joined cast for the RenFaire--swooped in on the idea I was thinking for the big research paper. I might still be able to use it, but now I haven't to make sure I have a different tatic. Went home disgusted for supper. Talked to Chad on the phone.

Today I made it to work at 6:30 a.m. I can't win with the traffic. It's either too soon or too late. Gee, I can't wait for the sleep depravation psychosis to start again. I brought my stuff for the Thursday night class, only to discover I don't have a revised schedule. I tried revising it myself and ran out of days. I'm reading what comes next, but the assignment after this one doesn't tell you where to find what we're supposed to read. And she doesn't have any due dates for the papers we're supposed to write. And in between storms it feels like we've lost a month of work time.

I got one set of shelves up in the living room and rearrange my fiction books. The DVDs and VCR tapes were rearranged, blending in what Chad left with me. Most of his books--the ones I don't need for research--will probably end up on the new shelves, but hidden by the couch. I still need to put up the kitchen set of shelves, and the library and other borrowed books will probably move to it. I still have to do so rearranging on the non-fiction books, and then I need to put stickers on the spines like the libraries do. The stack of books that I have to look up where they go on the shelves isn't working with my available desk space.

I always seem to have a lot more to say while at work.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

No comments: