Monday, August 09, 2004

Dehydration

I probably do have a high salt tolerance, but considering I barely use it. That's not the issue.

Sodium, chorloride, and potassium are your electrolytes. Adding salt is to the sports drinks is the easiest way to replenish them since salt is the first two ingrediants. And the first thing you lose: tears are salty, sweat is salty.

I found a article on nursing and taking care of severe dehydration. One of the signs of dehydration is dark smudges under the eyes. And here I thought that was lack of sleep. I already know I don't get enough sleep. But after my slight rehydration regime yesterday afternoon, my smudges aren't as dark today. So I think my intial prognosis was correct: electrolytes and fluid levels were just at functional. Any extra stress--like working outside--would put me down. Just drinking water would just further dilute the electrolytes I had left and not make me feel better. But I would be peeing.

So today I think I'm ready to switch to ordinary water. Already had two glasses, bout to go for a third.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

No comments: