Thursday, April 27, 2006

Titles and Papers

This is probably a Discipline Under Fire post, but *shrug* I'm going for here.

First problem: I have no thesis for the Dante paper I have to do. None. I think I'm going to have to shelve the compare and contrast with Christine de Pisan, and maybe concentrate on the feminine in Dante.

Second problem: may not be a problem any more. "Covenant of the Restless" is the title for the Captain Kate's short story. Hopefully, it doesn't give too much of the plot away since "restless" refers to both the privateers/pirates and the dead. Now the second problem becomes, how to fix the story? I can't find the notes I made during class, just the story copies that a few left comments on. Maybe I filed those notes under the other class, I didn't look there this morning.

Going through the comments: too long for a short story, "thou" is formal (IT IS NOT! "YOU" IS THE FORMAL. Okay, getting a little worked up over that one.), female Captain is not historically valid, they must be part of the English Navy like "Master and Commander" but they don't act like Navy, too short and needs more backstory. I miss my list from class, I had wrote down about ten things and some glimmers of how to address it.

*Taking two Aleve before the headache gets any worse.*

I'm not sure how to fix the "thou" problem. If English Masters' students have no concept of Elizabethan English mechanics, the general reading public won't either. Wikipedia supports that view. :p That stance is arguing with the historian "but that's how they talked!" stance. Hence, part of the headache.

I also have to wonder is backstory worth giving up surprise, or can I do it in such a way that surprise is still valid? Was anyone surprised after learning the scar on Toby's face was given to him by Kate and he still supported her? Maybe I should angle for the support to be the surprise.

Okay enough of the piddle-paddle. Time to get to work.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

"Covenant of the Restless" (Capt. Kate's short story)

Progress Bar from Writertopia

"The Blue Man on the Porch" FInal Version

Progress Bar from Writertopia

No comments: