Thursday, April 06, 2006

Acadiana Medieval Faire Year One

This is really bringing out the "Valley Girl" persona in me. Oh. My. God. We had 7000 people in three days!!!!!

Saturday alone had 1200. School Day was too big in retrospect, but every kid and chaperone I talked to at the drink booth was having a good time.

Sure, there were logistic problems (there are always logistic problems no matter what you do) but the concept worked and the theme is sound. The vendors sold heaps of stock, especially on School Day. They want to come back, and some are talking about building. Black Swan sold out of his entire stock of wooden weapons and shields. Our jewelry lady said she paid the bills for the next three months.

The kids were great; they even found my garter. I had lost it when running to plug a hole in the fence. So before we were swamped at the drink booth, I was laying a quest on them. Find my garter and I would have King Edward III knight you into the Order of the Garter. A girl found it, her two guy friends pushed her to getting knighted and took the pictures, the King knighted her with my dagger. Last image was her beating the back of one of them saying "I can't believe you did that to me!"

My babe Chad has done a good thing. I am so proud of him.

I will post pictures as soon as I get some to post. Here's to next year and that I'll have time to take my own pics!

News stories and reviews about AMF:

"Canterbury on the Bayou" in the Daily World

Traveler Creative History Teaching

Marisa's Fresh Canvas She and the other Americorps volunteers saved us Saturday and Sunday. And we really missed you on Monday, LOL! But seriously, this is a federal program worth savings. Before taking a break with us, they were cleaning up Katrina and Rita mess and building houses.

"Lafayette faire offers medieval view" in the Advocate

Acadiana Medieval Faire So you can watch out for Year Two progress!

Read Free!
The BookWorm

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gratz! Sounds liek you had a great time :)

Mez.