Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Catching up on previously written blog topics

New entries under January 27th, 30th, 31st, February 1st, 3rd, and 6th. All caught up on everything I had previously wrote before this date. Keeping up with blogging has never been this bad before. I'm going to try to have a weekly update at least. This entry maybe a little disjointed. I have a lot of topics to cover.

Important lesson: Always take care of the bag before going to bed! Or at least unload most of it so I have to pack in the morning. Over the weekend, I bought a Samsonite rolling laptop bag (link to one that looks the closest to what I bought). It has been great, except for Dante's Inferno making things really tight.

I also bought a new cellphone and had to get a new cellphone number. I'll probably post my complaint letter to the FCC and Tracfone here once I have written it. Enjoying the new phone so far, except not being able to hear the ringer in the car.

Also bought a flash drive on the 6th, and got it working today. The wireless network connection between my Windows XP desktop and Windows 98 laptop is tempermental on when it wants to work. Files saved to the flash drive and I can connect between the two easily.

Upgraded to Firefox at home. Turns out what was triggering the dial-up box to come up was a Javascript virus that attacks older Mozilla users. And it's somewhere lurking in my daily browse through. Hopefully this will finally stop it from driving me nuts as I go online.

Cast call had a decent turnout. I didn't take any pictures to share, since two video cameras were going and I was checking people in and putting my phone book into my new cell phone. *Sigh* I really need to find time to sew our garb.

But on that front, I hired my out-of-work baby sister to housekeep for me. She needs the money, I need the house stress to go away to concentrate on everything else that has to happen. She's even willing to help on the evil scanning project, which has made my office space nearly unusable.

I had to tweak the diet, but this version seems to be holding. Snack in the car by 5:30am or 6. Breakfast at 8am. Lunch at 1pm. Snack at 4pm. Supper at 7:30 or 8pm. So far this is keeping from getting hunger pains in between feeding times.

Job issues. Where to begin? My supervisior reacts the same way with anyone taking college class--we're trying to take her job. Personally, I don't want it. It looks like I'm stuck in the state civil services until I retire (because that will happen before I can live off a bestseller), so I have time to wait her out. No need for grand Machievellan schemes. Though the whole thing has left a taste in my mouth for the accounting classes the department will pay for and consider useful for my job performance.

Finding another job: I can't afford to give up state service because of the benefits. And no other departments are really hiring after Katrina and Rita. Have no idea how long that will be going on. And I have no control over what my supervisor tells them, because as sure as she doesn't want me to outdo her, she can't lose me.

Okay, fine. Like I said, I can wait it out. I wait out better with more sleep and less caffine than I had last week. And I never handle those confrontations well. I always ome up with what to say after I've edited the scene. Doesn't work as well when my brain froze on "I'm being yelled at for getting here early and not falling asleep behind the wheel. I'm getting yelled at for doing my job in the order I see fit to make the fewest mistakes. I'm being told I need to pile all the work on my desk so my count is the highest, no matter how long it actually takes to do the work. I'm being yelled at for not being a team player, which the previous command does not compute with." Fun cycle.

I dealt with it better after getting a chance to talk with my coworkers, and after exercising and more sleep. They assured me I hadn't wandered into a Kafka version of my life. Looks like the mail has slowed down to a normal pace, so that makes everyone easier to deal with.

Stress affecting creativity? Big time. I keep promising myself I will do better, but it's like I have limited willpower. Right now, it's all focused on the health and there's none left over for anything else. Should be the more you use the more is there when you need it. Maybe it's depeleted by feeling overwhelmed. Not exactly sure, but hopefully I get some things cross off the to do list tonight.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

1 comment:

KLCtheBookWorm said...

If you work in the private sector, it's usually that simple. I don't, I work in the beaucratic system supporting state government. In Louisiana, private sector jobs available suck and health benefits are non-existant. Transferring to another state department or within the Department of Insurance is dependent on your supervisor and what is available to transfer to. Most are nice people who give people who want to advance a leg up. My supervisor is a nice person with paranoia issues and little supervisor skills. If I go on an interview for another position against someone with more years in the state and my supervisor tells them I play on the Internet too much. All the more reason to go with the person with more years.

Katrina and Rita--we got hit by two hurricanes last year--caused the state government to shut down a lot of stuff to save money. Hiring people for new jobs was one of the things they closed until the fiscal crisis is over. That's a long way off.

As much as she yells about my work, it's one of the best in the office. I may not have the high numbers (because I don't hog the work) but my errors are the lowest. And it's not just me, all of her batchers are qualified for better jobs. If we go, the higher ups start yelling about people retention (apparantly an issue before I got hired) and why the checks aren't being done.

I love my state and want to keep my family land. My boyfriend is working on setting up his own business. I can't pull everything up to seek work in another state. I have to make my housenote, so I have to go to work. It's lovely and circular, and aggravating. Is it worth staying? Sure, if they up my pay for what the PET test scores says I should get and make it retroactive to 2002 when I passed the damn test.

Now I have to go get dressed for work.