Monday, May 19, 2008

And last week was supposed to be a good week

May 14th: I finished edits to the ethnography on the 13th and emailed it. The deposit was supposed to clear at midnight.

So I’m not surprised it didn’t when I got up this morning. I’m pissed off. Capital One tells me the hold will be lifted May 23rd. And then I scared the teller. I deposit the transfer check into the credit union and they also put a hold on that but made $200 available. Parents loaning me some more so I won’t get overdrawn before the deposits finally post.

I sold the aluminum cans—only had that on my to do list for a month—and bought stuff at the campus bookstore and market to cover the gaps in housekeeping.

So home again, looking at the daily MITs list, and realize my brain has no thoughts about the other projects. It has been rung out. I hope I kept good notes.

May 19th: The bedroom ceiling fan light died over the weekend. Now the fan works wonderfully, but the light kit on it is jury-rigged, so I’d rather replace the whole thing to be on the safe side. Especially since I pull in the cord the light comes on, but let go and darkness. As long as I keep pulling on the cord the light stays on, but there’s a zapping noise. Totally uncomfortable with zapping noise, but haven’t found a new fan I like yet.

What I have found that I’m absolutely in love with is the Return to the Labyrinth manga I picked up on a whim during the campus bookstore shopping spree. The only Hellsing they had was the volume I already have, and I picked up the Trigun because I loved the anime version. I think I had heard vague rumors about a Labyrinth manga, but never put it on a shopping list. The campus bookstore had volumes 1 and 2, I liked the cover copy and had the money to spend, so I picked it up.

The Goblin King has kept a watchful eye on Toby: His minions secretly guiding and protecting the child... Legions of goblins work behind the scenes to ensure that Toby has whatever his heart desires... Preparing him for the day when he will return to the Labyrinth and take his rightful place beside Jareth as the heir to the Goblin Kingdom... That day has come......but no one has told Toby.


And now, ARGH! Because volume 3 isn’t due out until November. And I have NOBODY to talk about the cliffhanger ending of volume 2. ARGH! This is why Kindra does better getting a complete set of something.

A lot of the Amazon reviews bitch about the art. I guess I’ve been to well trained by bad comic book art, I don’t notice. But the writing, the mystery, the homages to the movie worked in so seamlessly—the “you remind me of the babe” is just full of win, *sigh.* I NEED MORE NOW!

So it was probably a good thing I was able to go with a friend and see Prince Caspian Saturday May 17th. I enjoyed it, even though I think they dropped Bacchus to cater to the religious right, which makes me wonder how well the plot line of the Last Battle is going to go over. There should have been more crisis of faith and a bigger temptation for Caspian, but Edmund stabbing the White Witch was gold. Trumpkin and Reepicheep was delightful. They did an excellent job getting the muddle of the book into a coherent movie (serious C.S. Lewis, what were you think making half of it a flashback?). I wish they had put a little Easter egg at the end or in the credits, a picture of the “Dawn Treader.”

Read Free!
The BookWorm

No comments: