Saturday, February 16, 2008

How the rest of the week went

Or alternatively, why pictures took until Saturday

Tuesday I tried take night pictures and didn’t think they came out well. So Wednesday, I planned to get home before dark, taking pictures, and put them up in the post. Then my mother calls at 3:30pm, telling me my maternal grandmother is in the emergency room. I leave work as fast as possible.

The way Mom sounded I thought Mama Ree was checking out, so imagine my surprise to find her in the emergency room only hooked up to monitors and oxygen. “They think it’s pneumonia.” Okay, that is serious. She sounded horribly congested and all the doctors told Mom double pneumonia would kill her. Apparently early in the afternoon, she was talking crazy to Mom about imaginary rats in her room at the nursing home. “When they start talking crazy and hearing things and talking about babies, everybody says that’s when they’re dying,” Mom explained. I think our research into the subject is vastly different. The stories I’ve heard from near death experience or from others at deathbeds, it’s usually tunnels of light or seeing dead relatives or angels and talking to them. Maybe the dementia about rats and baby rats are edited out?

So I ended up at home after dark Wednesday night. And I had such good plans too. After getting the pictures and mp3 player, I was going to walk at the gym and take a shower. That didn’t happen. I leave while still dark Thursday morning to go to work. Thursday night class let out early so I got my shower. Back home Thursday night after dark.

Thursday night I also get the latest prognosis on my grandmother. They took her to dialysis and pulled three liters of fluid off her. She’s not supposed to have liquids, but she sneaks it anyway. And since she was happily claiming that after three days stay in the hospital we could get therapy for her again, we all think she drank ice water until she made herself congested with fluid build-up. I told Mom since all she gets out of therapy is touchy-feeling massage stuff (she doesn’t try to walk which is what she’s supposed to do), it would probably be cheaper and less whining from her just to hire a masseuse to see her once a week.

Friday after work I returned the extra Spider-man DVD copy for Jurassic Park (which I haven’t had since Kai borrowed it twelve years ago and it was in her pile of movies that were stolen in the dorm room. I still need to find A Fairy Tale on DVD another one that got lost in the same incident) and bought Mortal Kombat at half-price, factoring what was left of the gift card. Home after dark. Yeah, the only sun I get to see is on the weekends and while at work, I’m so glad the office has windows now.

So I took the pictures Saturday morning. Today, I have a birthday party to go to and I need to clean up the house a bit for company tomorrow. Not that I have oodles to do, but I’d like the dishes and laundry washed and my paperwork done.

I also did a preliminary circumference of the downed part forty-seven and one-eighth inches. I still think there’s enough there to do something with, even if it can’t be a chest. At worst, I can transform it into a playground for Mustard.



Read Free!
The BookWorm

There is a new renaissance festival in Louisiana! Check out the Acadiana Medieval Faire at: http://www.acadianafaire.org/

No comments: