Saturday, February 23, 2008

Blank: It’s Saturday, Already

I have solo duty with my grandmother. Fun with ICU, they only have four thirty-minute visits a day with three-hour waits in between them. Her official condition is “stable but critical.” After the whole snafu with Dr. Powers, she decided to give the treatments another twenty-four hours and have dialysis on Friday. Dialysis went fine, they got her off the NEO and the other medicine to keep her blood pressure up and it goes up and down all day without getting into normal blood pressure range but not straying into the too-low-to-live range.

The disease doctor says her infections are getting better, so apparently they found the right antibiotics. “But the infections are the least of her problems,” Mom replied and he had to admit that was true. The pulmonary doctor says he’s out of tricks and he’ll support whatever her wishes are. If she gets out of here and it’s still hugely iffy, she would be a bed patient in the nursing home—something she never wanted.

Mom had to open the store today, so I got hospital duty. I packed for the three hour waits and even dragged the laptop up here, only to discover it is well and truly dead. I get a power is available light but it doesn’t turn on. Not really surprised, but it’s not good timing. Maybe Dad will let me borrow his new toy (laptop) if it’s an emergency. I finished writing For Worse yesterday and I was hoping to catch up and finish the typing I missed this week. Oh well, move to next project.

What happened on my watch? A lot of sleeping, but she hasn’t been so she needs to catch up. Mom had one freak out and I still don’t understand that. I just told my sister to keep her off the phone. Mama remembered who her visitors were the night before and gave me the cryptic comment: “I prayed and was ready but God didn’t get close enough last night. They got me back.” Turns out her blood sugar had dropped into the 40s during the night because of no snack and hell everything else she’s been through. *Shakes head* Stay healthy for as long as possible is all I can say.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

There is a new renaissance festival in Louisiana! Check out the Acadiana Medieval Faire at: http://www.acadianafaire.org/

No comments: