Sunday, June 04, 2006

Bubble, bubble, boil, and trouble

12:30pm Well actually I'm cooking. Finished shopping and eating dinner out with the parents, and have five dishes on the menu. Granted I'll probably be eating for the next two week on these, but I'm not a cook-every-night gal.

Menu:

  • Beef Stroganoff

  • Eggplant Casserole

  • Shrimp and Crab Casserole

  • Chicken tortellini with alfredo sauce

  • Chicked with rice and almonds - an experiment from the Medieval cookbook. If it's too complicated for the stove, I won't be cooking it over the campfire.



Made progress on the CSS and template stuff last night. I have to the updates to do and adding some new modules. Hopefully that will fix the image_exact error message. Then I need to tweak the pages, now that I finally figured what was going wrong with them. Once pages are done, it's fix the front page and signed-in front page and fix the FoxFire's Pick's random display--which would be the two issues that I've had no answer on my pleas for help. I'm not going to start on coding until I'm finished with cooking though.

So what to do while I'm waiting for the oven and finished with dishes? WRITE!

3:43pm I think I got some of my timing wrong. I've had to take a pause while waiting for rice to cook. I finished the Eggplant Casserole, the Beef Stroganoff is in the slow cooker, chicken is poaching and rice for the Shrimp and Crab Casserole is cooking.

I had to look up directions on how to poach chicken. Unless I can cook the meat the night before (remembers the night before opening day and cackles) I don't think this is a dish I can demo cooking at site. I want to be a little more ambitious than soups or stews. Everybody does soups or stews because they're easy. My character is the head cook and part owner of the Tabbard Inn, and hello the King is in town. Now's the time to strut your stuff.

Plus I want to do more with it than just have people watch me cook and ask what's for dinner. I want a demo where the kids are touching ingrediants, churning butter, seeing food items that aren't wrapped in plastic and cardboard. I think I'm also going to need some method for washing hands too. The resource guide is going to have more receipes for you to try at home, and I'm looking for easily cookable but more exotic than a turkey legs. Though Acadiana Medieval Faire's turkey legs have gained quite a reputation.

I have one paragraph done on a flash fiction peice for this contest. I don't usually try my hand at flash fiction, but what the heck, I like the prizes offered.

However cooking and writing do not mix well. I have been washing the dishes as I go though! No, really, it's an accomplishment.

5:00pm The Shrimp and Crab Casserole is now done. It ended up being way meatier than anticipated and flowed over into a second pan. I probably should have tweaked the other ingredients to match the packaging of meat that I had to buy, but I didn't.

I ended up with yet another dish, do to an over abundance of stock once I poached the chicken. I threw in all the leftover vegetables with some of the chicken and mixed vegetables I had in the freezer and pantry. And I'm probably still have too much stock in the pot. I'll strain it and freeze it for the start of chicken noodle soup.

So I'm probably not going to cook the Chicken tortellini with alfredo sauce until later this week when I'm sick of the casseroles. At this point I'm getting wore out.

5:19pm Done with cooking! Still need to break the dishes into meal-sized portions and pack away in the fridge and finish washing all the dishes, but right this second I'm giving my back and feet a rest.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

No comments: