Wednesday, May 23, 2007

This week

Not a good night last night. I've done some changes to offline copy of "Blue Man" and some changes to the online Google version. I tried to get all the changes to one version, which I will upload. The highlights transferred as background patterns and I had to take them off one paragraph at a time. I started screaming at the computer and decided it was time to stop. Muscle relaxers and back pain must make me surly. Today, I changed it to colored text. Maybe that will work better.

I did too much this weekend and have suffered for the past two days because I didn't take any muscle relaxers. So last night was my first one this week, and I still feel sleepy. I probably need to take another one tonight after physical therapy.

No bomb threats at work since Wednesday. No, we STILL haven't been told anything. So here's all I know:

Monday: 3 emailed bomb threats in the morning. The second one said something along the lines: "You're not taking me seriously since I see you haven't evacuated the building." The third was "I'm going to blow up the building in 10 minutes." After that one it was a mandatory evacuation, and the building was closed for the rest of the day.

Tuesday: 1 emailed bomb threat around 10:30 and mandatory evacuation. I left my car keys on my desk. Came back at 1pm, not to do any work, but to get my keys and go home if they were opening the building. They were doing an intensive mainframe search and didn't want us on the computer system. Building closed again. A cop brought my keys down to me.

Wednesday: Second-hand news. Mom was freaking out, coupled with stress from my grandmother's health, so I stayed home. Bad decision because I didn't get anything I wanted to get done, done. :p Another bomb threat at noon, they didn't close the building. And eventually took a co-worker's son who worked in the Mailroom in for questioning.

Thursday: Rumor mill has the son arrested. Rumor mill also says the cops took a laptop from the training room--that was were the emails were being sent from. Suspect was returned to work because all they had on him was the fact that he owns a Blackberry and somebody reported him.

I really couldn't see him doing it, not with his mother's health the way it is and his aunt undergoing cancer surgery during all this.

And nothing has happened since then, including no reassuring prattle from our bosses. A lot of people's nerves are still shot.

To change subjects, I miss my CD store. I have no idea if it moved from the mall or just closed up entirely. I went to Wal-Mart looking for female rockers. I found an Alanis Morisette and already have Garbage, so that's the type of stuff I'm looking for. It's for Zy's soundtrack incidently. The problem with Wal-Mart and Taget and stores like that, the clerks are not there to help you make music decisions but only to keep you from shoplifting merchandise and getting the heavy items. I'm staring at CDs covers and they don't tell me anything about how the woman sings. So you can rule out by covers as being hiphop/R&B, but a lot you can't distinguish. And it doesn't help that the only two catagories seem to be "country" and "everything else." I don't always want to shop with a clerk over my shoulder, but when I want to ask someone for recommendations, I want one and now.

I'm sure I'm probably going to be yelled at by someone for buying CDs and supporting RIAA and not looking into Internet radio. A lot of it boils down to I listen to music in my car, which doesn't like mp3s. I don't have an mp3 player. And I can't keep up with my best friend's podcasts or any others people point me too. I can't download things to my paying job computer and I'm usually busy with something else when I get home. CDs actually fit my life, even though I don't agree with the policies of the RIAA.

That's all I've got for today. Working at trying to stay awake.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

There is a new renaissance festival in Louisiana! Check out the Acadiana Medieval Faire at: http://www.acadianafaire.org/

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't even know who the RIAA are. For female voices, try blonde redheads or the donnas or, if you want to go back a couple of hundred years, concrete blond.