Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Fun debunking

Life in the 1500s debunked

What's aggravating (especially to us in historical renacting for education) is how damn often this stupid email is cited by TEACHERS! I know most teachers are wonderful people doing lots of things for too little money for the sakes of children, but it's just another great example of how the current teacher's education fails us, them, and eventually the children. Teachers need to have degrees in what they're going to teach, not degrees in the theory of how to teach.

Dress rehersal Saturday was a blast, and I got sunburnt on my face. Sunday I got sunburnt on my arms, having remembered the sunblock on my face but put it on while wearing a jacket. Sunday was building stages, and I managed to run straight into the 2x6 boards sticking out of the truck while looking for fire ants mounds to poison. Whiplash limits the jobs I can do, and now I have a skinned, sunburnt nose to show for it. I did figure out what was wrong with the generator (score one for the female Liberal Arts thinker over the male engineers and construction gurus).

Unfortunately, I won't finish the blue silk dress before Saturday, so I can't be Christine de Pisan this year. So I will be playing Mrs. Bailey, wife of Harry Bailey the owner of the Tabard Inn and the host in the Canterbury Tales. I'll actually be dong the candle making demo. Now I just need to find her first name.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

No comments: