Thursday, December 20, 2007

Number Crunching 105

So I have budget, I have resolve, I have this series on blogs to keep me on the straight and narrow, and feeling mentally the equivalent of too-tight-but-still-zip up jeans. And I haven't even made it to January yet.

Since I don't see a way to reduce the bills, which is where the eat-up of money is stemming from, I have to get more income. The first method of that is to get a second job.

Though honestly it would be a third job for me, since I already have Faire and school/writing on the plate. And I am feeling better about my chances of getting paid back for Faire but it'll be years before I can count on that money. I could fit one in that is part time and with just weekend hours for a couple of months (pizza delivery maybe, hospital phone bank), but I'd prefer to try everything else first.

Next option that popped up is hocking something at a pawnbrokers. I'm already leery of this option due to my past financial history. I see me very easily losing something I didn't want to lose. And what I wouldn't consider a big loss if lost, pawnbrokers don't want any more of.

Next option is selling stuff. I had already weeded out some unused decorations and comics I didn't want to keep any more with the object to put them up for bid on Ebay. To this list I'm going to read through my book collection and sell what I don't use. I usually give that stuff to Mom to sell at her shop, but she doesn't get much for little items. It's better to let her have furniture, kitchen gadgets, or clothes. I also have artwork I saved in college. Most of it is decades old and the literary magazine was going to throw it away. I don't know what I can do with it that earns money. I just have to set up the Ebay storefront and figure out how to advertise for the sells.

Final option is setting up the websites to at least earn their keep. It only costs $9.00 a month each for the Library and Alt. BM Site, but it's paid out in two year increments and that's a lot of dough at once. If I could earn that much in ad revenue, I wouldn't have to worry about them. At least, this idea is a little more thought out than the "sell your fiction through your website" idea. Money and fanfiction can lead to legal issues, which I'd rather avoid. But my own stuff...

Maybe that's the way to bring back writing tutorials. People actually paying me to write them. Still needs thinking.

Oh, I forgot I signed up for some online survey stuff that's supposed to pay. I haven't had time to check into that more.

Displaying net worth? Some personal finance sites do it. And while I didn't have any pangs posting my weight numbers and progress pictures, I just had my brain go to a skidding halt over posting numbers dealing with money.

Spock says, "Fascinating." I'm going to have to think about this some more.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

There is a new renaissance festival in Louisiana! Check out the Acadiana Medieval Faire at: http://www.acadianafaire.org/

No comments: