Monday, January 24, 2005

Tumultuous Weekend

Okay, I'm being melodramatic. But it feels like tons happened in two days. Another day spent at my parents' working on the floor. Next weekend we should be ready to finish one room, and then move the next room's furniture into it.

Priced my next electronic purchases--other than a new phone. The label writer at Office Depot is around $160, and the Kodak digital camera is about $200.

I realized I could be working on the Garb Closet by making the pattern and mock-ups, but then found out I have to buy a yardstick. *Sigh*

Got a major chunk of the Hyrueliana editing done, over 800 words on Saturday. Sunday wasn't as good since I was working on homework. You can read it in Discipline Under Fire.

And Chad had a brillant brainstorm. As you may know, I bought my house which was built by my great-great-grandparents in 1919 as their retirement cottage. It had a detached kitchen at that time and my grandmother still remembers it. A lean-to made of pine added the two back rooms to the original cypress house that now house another bedroom and the kitchen. The indoor plumbing was added in the 1950s (my father remembers this), then aluminin siding. (ADD PHOTO HERE)

The plumbing is substandard, the sheetrock that makes up most of the insane partitions inside is rotting, in short it needs work. I always wanted to restore the original four rooms, and put the modern stuff into a modern, but decorative matching in a modern addition. I studied floorplans for ages, and finally settled on one but wasn't too thrilled with what it would do to the existing landscape. (INSERT PICTURE HERE)

Well, Chad's brilliant suggestion was to jack up the original, add a little to it to match the front porch span, and put the modern in a brick downstairs, French Creole plantation style. It's not Tara, it only exists in Louisiana, and the house is already an Acadian cottage. Best sample: The Oakley Plantation Picture 1, Picture 2, and Picture 3. It has three stories and I'm not going to do the shade on the galleries. More samples: Destrechan Plantation, Homeplace Plantation House, Laura Plantation, St. Emma Plantation, Riverlake, Parlange Plantation House, and a page explaining French Creole Architecture.

I won't be using the Doric columns on the bottom, probably just brick. But I think this is what the house wants and I want an upgrade that will blend both seemlessly.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

No comments: