Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Ooooo, King Cake

Yes, work has been good. I'm going to have to go and pick one up this weekend because my birthday is falling after Mardi Gras this year by two days. *Pout* Oh well, the pirate pizza party is a good substitute.

Been looking at housing plans. HUD has guarantees on morgtages and another type of loan or grant (I still have to research that more) that allows you to get the money for the mortgage and money for renovations and pay that off with the mortgage. Typically you'd have to settle the mortgage first, then turn around and put the house or property up to get money for repairs--home equity loan. I don't know which way is better--in terms of how much I have to pay--but it's nice to see the options.

Where the housing plans come in. Mom suggested along the lines of what Uncle De had planned was tear out the bathroom, tear out the silly walls making halls, and tear off the kitchen and bedroom. That leaves you with the original 4 room cypress shotgun cottage. Then go down to a concrete slab and build kitchen, bathrooms, and four bedrooms. So I've been looking at various plans trying to see how to tackle that. Nice thing is I have the architech angle sewn up. I just need to figure out my layout.

I'm also trying to decide if I want to go to the trouble of installing central heat and air to the original part of the house. The idea being that the new part would be built to be energy efficient, we'd be adding a new hardwood floor to the original part, and new siding and potentially new roof. That would take care of a lot of the energy waste of the original part. Vents could go through the floor or the ceiling. LOL Better get the place first.

I'll probably go see my aunt and uncle on the ride home Wednesday. Tonight I have to go home and update Alt. BM and hopefully talk to Jazzie.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

No comments: