Friday, March 01, 2013

I'm Semi-Ignoring Politics Today

Happy Sequester Day (and that's all I have to say about that).

So I'm thirty-six-years-old now and will just put this year's birthday down as odd. I still haven't celebrated it properly, and it doesn't look like I will until sometime in March. I'm not disappointed, more befuddled by responsible adulthood once again.

No nasty ramifications from the funeral, so my back is slowly unkinking itself. I read in the DF thread at Making Light that someone had noticed their body reacted to stress/conflict by curling into a defensive position. I'm not sure what defensive position would leave me with a knot between my spine and right shoulder blade that made turning my neck impossible last week. Maybe I was punching things in my sleep instead? Not intending to invalidate their anonymous experience, but see if my body correlated.

Combination yeah-bummer news: the CCFairy presented me with four options for the next step to take after my income tax refund comes in and I pay off my Visa card. I took a deep breath and asked the parental units for their opinions. We all settled on option 2 with a couple of additions: Refinance the house, pay off all non-student loan debts, buy a new car, put a temporary roof on the house, and postpone the big remodel for a year (maybe).

Dad point out my flailing over a new roof ruined when the back of the house is tore off during the remodel—WASTING MONEY freakout—is unnecessary when I can take the slightly used material from the temporary roof and build a shed or something. I was so scared of wasting money that idea never occurred to me. But I have been looking forward to the remodel this year, so bummer. Yet new car because Rizzo is slowly dying, yeah!

The house is cleaner than it has been in ages and not setting off my clean-now panic. Yesterday I had a lapse, but it didn't turn into a disaster area. So overall, I have to say UfYH's 20/10 timing and general motivation has worked in spades.

The next change I want to really implement is to start my day with 15 minutes writing before I even get dressed. Time isn't the issue (I have plenty of it in the morning), motivation I don't believe is an issue (I want to work on stuff), but I picked the wrong time to put it onto practice. Thursday during the busiest week we've had at the paying job in a while. Now I have a new month to try it out in.

February goals altered drastically on the 17th, not that I made a formal note of it then. The new February goal of surviving my grandmother's funeral without being committed or incarcerated by the Extended's dysfunction was successful. That's enough to make one swear off funeral attendance forever more. So how did I do on the other February goals?

February Boulders

  • Use BodBot for a month. – Didn't happen at all. Damnit.
  • Cut out grains as much as possible. – This I've been much better about post-funeral.
  • CCFairy's homework is due Feb. 20th. -- Done
  • Write 20 days on Strix: Forget the Sun. – January: 3 typed days, 2 rough draft days, two background detail days. February: 2 typed days and 5 rough draft days. I must break this cycle.
  • Read through Stellar Gift of Death and wiki catalog details on aliens and locations. – Ugh, I haven't even printed it out yet.
  • Post all the TDKR fanfics. – Have one left to go and it needs to go through the spell checker, so my time issue isn't because I'm wasting time with fanfic.

So looking at the month starting today.

March Boulders

  • Write 20 days on Strix: Forget the Sun
  • Read through Stellar Gift of Death and wiki catalog details on aliens and locations.
  • Post all TDKR fanfics
  • Pay off Visa card
  • Follow the SHRED diet
Hopefully, changing the order will help me kick up my priorities.

Let's close up with a couple of webcomic recommendations. But I'm a Cat Person has reached its second year anniversary. I raved about Erin Ptah's And Shine Heaven Now, and this is her original comic dealing with supernatural shapeshifters and the humans they serve.

io9 reviewed Namesakes so I checked it out. All our fairy tales exists as parallel worlds and people from Earth are sent to them to complete the story. Wonderland gets multiple Alices, Oz gets multiple Dorothys until now when something goes wrong, and an Emma goes to Oz instead. We've got murders, conspiracies, and a Wicked Warlock of the West (it's a title don't you know). I plowed through the archive in two days.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

No comments: