Thursday, October 09, 2008

Fanfiction Meme

Sometimes it’s okay to pimp yourself out. Post a list of your top five favorite fics you’ve written, regardless of fandom or the reason you love them. This isn’t about the BEST things you’ve written, but what you LOVE most. Then tag five other people to do the same. -- By Erin Ptah: Fanfiction Meme


Oh boy, this should be fun.

Tin Man: Dragons and Ninjas There are fandoms I enjoy without needing to writing fanfics set in them. Hellsing for example, Doctor Who came perilously close and he may get a cameo appearance. So when I initially found some Tin Man fanvids on YouTube, I made a playlist. Then the playlist led to reading fanfiction that the video makers said inspired them. No biggie. Then I downloaded Tin Man to double check some of the fanfics. Next thing I know is Zack Baker from my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles stories has teamed up with another princess and I was buried in the story. Since it has been years since I experienced this type of writing frenzy, I went with it.

It's a what happens after the lame ending of the miniseries, filling holes in Zack and Lyle's friendship (that still isn't full written out on paper), DG dealing with her parents, and Zack coming clean about all his crossovers. I was given the word "Zackverse" to describe those stories, and I can't wait to actually get to use it. Little did I know, that this story isn't the last crossover for Zack. (He's bitching at me already. I think my muse told him what is in store in the next one.) P.S. This isn't the one with Betsy in it; I'm writing that one sorta right now.

Wars Are Won By Those Who Dare: Family, Friends, and Foes Yeap, another crossover but at least this one is set on one world. Biker Mice From Mars, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and the characters from Kung Fu: The Legend Continues all live on the same planet Earth, which happens to be called the Other Side in Tin Man. It is a sequel in both my TMNT and BMFM series. Val Tech discovers the Turtles and now they're on the run. But things really explode once they reach Chicago. The bros are being chased by mutated humans who aren't working for Limburger. And Chi-town is shaken by the arrival of two more vigilante groups who are attacked by Limburger. Can the mysterious Ronin pull the good guys together? Or will Manuelo's family pay the price?

This was the first crossover I attempted combining the whole casts, rather than just dropping one or two characters into another group. I didn't think I would EVER reach the end of it.

The Legend of Zelda: Verge of Destruction Now this was the first fanfic I ever wrote on paper and let other people read. The first version was written back in 1992 because during a discussion of the video games it was pointed out there was room for another Triforce. And I wanted to give the cartoon Link and Zelda a swift kick in butts. If I had only known what I was getting into.

Gargoyles: A Mist of Prophecies: A Storm of Things Foreseen The first fanfic I publish on the Internet and learned what Mary Sue was, probably the opposite way every other fanfic writer has learned the definition. My first review for this story was "Not a Mary Sue peice at all! Wow!" Which only led to much head scratching on my part, because I had never heard of the term "Mary Sue" before. See I had created the character Cassandra first (reading Greek tragedies for a grade and watching mind-blowing animation lead to strange places) mainly as an exercise on how the Cassandra from Greek theater/myth could exist in the Gargoyles universe. I liked her so much, when I joined into the Gargoyles fandom, I used her name as my handle. When the Gargoyles Saga took a summer break and I wrote up a story with her in it, I posted it with the "Cassandra" handle. I switched to The BookWorm or KLCtheBookWorm after that review and that is the only Internet handle I have now.

Wars Are Won By Those Who Dare: Reunions Is it possible to love a story to bits? I have a warm spot in my heart for the Biker Mice From Mars and the first three stories in the Wars Are Won By Those Who Dare series because I was sloughing my way through two semesters of Spanish taken during the summer in order to graduate with my Bachelor's in August 2000. I am not kidding when I say writing these fanfics about the fuzzy boys kept me SANE.

It was also a MASSIVE rewrite of the first two BMFM fanfics I had attempted back in high school when the show was on the air. So much of a rewrite and re-exploration, that I now have a thirty-plus series outlined for the Biker Mice. And that's not counting the separate Zackverse stuff. But it also is backstory for our heroes that is only hinted at, romance, and the introduction of my two favorite original characters: Sparks and Hot Rod. (My third favorite character, Bayonet, and second favorite couple is slated to be introduced in another story.)

Read Free!
The BookWorm

No comments: