Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Crazy weekend

In hindsight, still crazy.

Saturday: Had a RenFaire cast social in New Orleans. Marcie wanted to do a movie night. Chad had the brillant idea to combine them both on Saturday. Give Joe a ride down to New Orleans and he runs late arguring with his girlfriend. Left the social about 3pm, New Orleans traffic is abysmal and Joe has the bright idea to take the Causeway.

My fear of bridges--that only really kicks in now when I'm driving--kicks in when it's too late to get off the damn feat of modern engineering. I swear when my car went across the draw bridge section the wind lifted it up.

By the time we finally got home, Marcie had been waiting for an hour. Nothing goes wrong the entire time she's there. Small miracle. She goes home and Chad wants to watch "Mystery Men." We end up crawling into bed at midnight.

Sunday: 5:30am We're awakened by a crash on the road in front of my house. I figured somebody wrapped themselves around a tree. Two trucks were parked, one in my driveway, the other across the street; and a cop car is there in minutes.

I get jeans and slippers on before Chad and go out to see if they need any help. In the yard, I see the car that is smashed up is a Jeep that the camilla bush blocked view of from the window. Then I hear gallopping and nickering in the backyard.

Now we have had cows break loose and come visit. I remember one night Mom brought us home and it looked like a cattle drive across the yards. A horse is a new experience. Pretty grey horse, scared, the lights keeping it away from the road and the undergrowth keeping it out of the roads. Back inside for sports bra and hiking boots.

A girl from the ambulance, a volunteer fire fighter, two sheriff deputies, Chad and me finally manage to corner the poor horse. Turns out the Jeep was one of my mom's friends and she hit and killed the red horse. Apparantly the pair of them have been hanging out by the river, and my cousins who live back there were playing the Finders Keepers game but couldn't grab them. Luckily mom's friend Nancy only got scratched up and probably has whiplash now. My cousins still have the white horse and we're hoping to get it away from them. They can't take care of their dogs, much less a horse.

Nope still a crazy weekend in hindsight.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

No comments: