Friday, January 08, 2010

Having fun with Zen

I made the theme for the Circulation Desk with the Drupal Zen package, but I couldn't get the spacing right (or some of the colors but I'm dealing with them last) before I needed to go live. So I figure I would fix that before getting lost in developing the wiki.

So I turned on the wireframes, set up Firebug for Drupal, finally got the left sidebar not overlapping the tapestry and wide enough so the words were not making funky breaks, and turned off the wireframes. And the left margin shot over much farther than I wanted as well as the width shrunk so the words do funky breaks again. *headdesk*

Now, I will readily admit that CSS is not a skill I have mastered in my website building, but Zen makes sure to cover any possible CSS change and I think all the extras are confusing the hell out of me. First step, is to re-tweak what I had tweaked before and see if it will move back. If that doesn't work, I think I'll just start the whole theme over again. :p

Read Free!
The BookWorm

6 comments:

Fyn said...

Write your own from scratch. Much easier and less naffing with someone else's code XD

KLCtheBookWorm said...

I managed to fix it without having to resort to that. Once I figured out how to use Firebug to tell me which CSS file was influencing what.

Still have to test how it looks in IE. :p

And then it's onto figuring out how to make toc work.

Fyn said...

Table of Contents? Don't you just have to use tags for that? Though granted I'm kind of leaving RP's wiki to whoever wants to write wiki articles so still waiting for someone to tell me if it's broken or not :)

I know for a fact RP is borked in IE7-. I'm not getting paid enough to put in the time and effort required to make it work, so I'll deal with it when I deal with it :P

Good luck with IE ;)

KLCtheBookWorm said...

I still haven't looked at it in IE. Yes, I'm being chicken. :p

TOC is for making the Wikipedia type table of contents for the whole article. To say they are not behaving is an understatement, but I don't think that's a crucial need for the whole wiki thing.

No, a crucial need is for nodes to be made for items that don't and not just links to Wikipedia. *headdesk* I'm still trying to figure that one out.

If it gets to be more of a headache, I may just say to hell with it and set up another subdomain with MediaWiki software and just apologize for everyone needing two username and passwords. Or figure out how to make Mediawiki and Drupal talk to the same database, but when I researched that, it all sounded more trouble than it was worth.

bek said...

Assuming you're using the same modules I'm using, just modify the example. Drop down the boxes and find all cases where there is a url and replace it with your own.

KLCtheBookWorm said...

I got lost opening the things on the example and then freaked out that I was breaking it, so I stopped looking for it.

I try to find it again.