Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Resistence in this case IS futile

Remember a post a few months back where I did a lousy job explaining resistence? You can go look this should still be here.

Resistence is that balking whenever you start something new. Change is bad, I won't like this, the teacher's a doody-head.

My second semester of graduate studies started Monday. Monday night's class is Introduction to Contemporary Criticism. And I can feel resistence throwing itself around me. I do have some legitiment gripes. There's a crapload of reading and the order wasn't given to the bookstore. The professor is pushing to order them online and save money, only I budgeted and put the money into a school only account that works at the bookstore.

The resistence is I have to have this class for the program, but I think academic criticism is a bunch of hooey that distracts from the actual enjoyment of the text. Which in no way will enable me to pass this class.

And the literature class on Thursday will end up being poetry. Bleah. 17th Century poetry, I shouldn't get tripped up on lesbian love metaphors this time. Yes, there is scarring connected with that statement and I'm not going to explain it.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having some of the same issues Misty went through for some senior anthropolgy courses. She was having to study stuff she thought was pointless and dumb, but she needed the class for her cirriculum. She made it, though. Keep an open mind - maybe this stuff will show some use to you.

KLCtheBookWorm said...

I know it's going to be good for me. I'll get enthuastic about it... after I throw the books across the room a lot.

Anonymous said...

how long a course is it and have you just started or continuing? coz it seems that all further ed courses are almost completely pointless in first and second years :)

KLCtheBookWorm said...

Technically, I'm just starting graduate work. And most of the bad feeling was getting overwhelmed on the first day. I feel absolutely lost if I don't have everything I need on the first day.

Though the order for the books is now going to be given to the bookstore. So hopefully I'll be able to get started reading.