Thursday, August 25, 2005

A brief break

Yeah, I'm supposed to be working on the Resource Guide during this quiet time, but I have to put this link down. Laurie R. King--Mutterings URL: http://laurierking.blogspot.com/

For those that don't know, I'm obsessed with her Sherlock Holmes/Mary Russell series. She has created a human Holmes without making him any less Holmes. Having been watching some wretched Hollywood rewrites of the Doyle canon on the classic Mystery movies DVD set I got, I like her Holmes heaps better. Her Watson too. And the last book of the series had Dashiell Hammett as a character. Now I need to read "Dead Yellow Woman" apparantly there is an in-joke.

But finding that she has started a blog has given me hope that maybe, someday, there will be more readers here for me to bore or dazzle with trivialities. Often days, I think there's more boredom than anything else.

*Shrug* Websnark is already taken though, and he does a fine job. I need a place to vent. And I'm not interested in becoming a reporter blogger. A book deal would be nice, but well, *sigh*.... It's really for the best not to continue that thought. Going back to the Resource Guide.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

5 comments:

Sharp said...

I've been wanting to move my reading habits away from sci-fi and fantasy, but, having little experience outside of those genres, I've been floundering a bit. The only non-SF/F book I've read/listened to in some time is The DaVinci Code, which I'm almost done with. On your reccomendation, I looked into Laurie King's work, and I've decided to try her first Holmes/Russel book, The Beekeeper's Apprentice. As luck would have it, Audible.com has it unabridged, so I'll be getting it from there. It reviews well. I'm looking forward to listening to it.

KLCtheBookWorm said...

More than happy to help out. I can recommends lots of reading. I like the Audible.com site and idea, but a lass, I cannot use it. My car CD player doesn't like mp3s so I doubt it will like their format either. But hey, if all goes well, maybe I'll lose that commute time and I won't have to worry about it.

Waiting till after the movie comes out before starting on the DaVinci Code. Though depending how I react with Goblet of Fire I might decide my detachment has improved and go ahead.

Sharp said...

If you have a CD-RW drive, Audible's program makes it easy to burn the books in chunks to audio disc. It's become a habit of mine to keep two discs burned and reburn one when I've listened to it. True, I could put an entire book on one disc MP3 style, but Audio CD is easier to manage. And it'll only cost you a couple of CD-RWs.

KLCtheBookWorm said...

From their website, I didn't think they did Audio CD. But I'm hoping to do really well on a job interview and not have to drive to Baton Rouge anymore. So I'm going to hold off on getting a subscription.

Sharp said...

I think it's kinda like the express queues at theme parks. They're there, and they're useful, but they don't wanna call attention to them.