Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Finished the Bleeping Map

Lord and Lady, don't ever let me be a glutton for that kind of punishment ever again. And if that doesn't work, at least let me remember to reduce the damn file size so the program stops freezing after every command.

And please, please, please, please, let the final three maps get made smoothly and quickly.

Blessed Be.

Er, okay, for the non-divine readers some background is probably necessary. I read every Oz book I could get my hands on back in the fourth grade (possibly third, it was before I transferred to Springfield's school system and I lived in libraries). I'm fairly certain the collection only had Baum books. So I was really clueless when I found Tin Man fanfics referencing the East - West issue. Did a little research since I needed other countries names for Tin Man: Pirates of the Nonestic and found the answer. Then I got annoyed with Maguire's illustrations for compounding the problem and Tin Man Meta for not looking for the answer. And I needed maps for what I was writing.

So my bright idea while creating my own maps, I would offer copies of the original Maguire maps; the directionally-corrected Maguire maps; a mash-up of all the Maguire maps, which according to me was how Oz looked when Dorothy arrived; a map of Nonestica when Dorothy arrived; a map of modern O.Z. with elements mentioned in the Tin Man miniseries; a map of modern Nonestica, which I needed for my story; and two maps of the principles islands, which are affected in the novel so before and after. Readers deserved something for the rant I had to go with these maps.

I had this brainwave back on May 4th. Finished eight of them rather quickly. Then found hell with the map of the modern O.Z.

I finally finished it last night.

At 11 p.m.

After I had really started on it at 7 p.m. and only had four things to finish on it.

And I should've been finished at 10:30 p.m. only I realized I had forgotten Milltown.

Tonight is an early bedtime. Insanely early bedtime. Before the sun sets bedtime. Which probably means Thursday will be the first day I've felt normal in about two weeks.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

No comments: