Monday, October 17, 2005

*Twitch*

Yeah I'm developing nervous tics. Okay, it's really not that bad, just sudden and possibly for four to six months. It's a good thing I quit Faire (even if I'm still over there just as much) because I'd be pulling my hair out and be bald by now.

Everything is still upside from the hurricanes--and now Tropical Storm Wilma is out there--travel time nightmares ferrying Chad back and forth to Lafayette, getting my house and yard in order. School is its own unique headache and I find myself descending into bad undergrad techniques to get by. Luckily, I've got two scatterbrains (Chad's compared them to Hagrid and Professor Twellney from Harry Potter and I agree) and they have accepted that this is the semester from Hell and just make an attempt will ya? I'm keeping up with the readings when I can and working on wowing them with papers.

Been slowly bringing my fiction writing back to speed after months of neglect. The new travel time actually worked in favor of that, I had an hour or so before paying job with nothing but Internet distractions. Ending up exhausted and not looking much better, but I could deal with it. Felt like fingernails on chalkboard but I was dealing with it.

Then Friday I got a new bam. I don't do well with bams. But we all know how I get het up about something. I was selected to work on the Department of Insurance phone bank for hurricane victims. Out of 400 employees, an outside firm picked 25 of us to work on this for four to six months. New hours 7am to 3:30pm and physically moved to a new cubicle.

Nobody knew this was going on until it was a done deal. My supervisor started having second thoughts after it was pointed out she was losing two batchers to this deal and one was out sick. Check scanning is supposed to go live on Oct. 26 and everyone trained to do it (and will do it) is gone. Supposedly as we left Friday, this assignment should only last until the 26th. We'll see.

Granted I felt overwhelmed and didn't want the new job. All the old insequrities about dealing with people went spinning free through my head. Next weekened is the teachers' workshop. Hopefully these new hours will get me home and not too drained to do stuff like Internet. No more time to play at work.

Day is done update: I survived. I don't know how long I can keep it up, but I didn't make that many mistakes. Terry's right, karma is in action in our old office. We don't know if they will get their way and get us back, and I don't really care. I don't know when I'll get another chance to update, so stay tuned.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

No comments: