Sunday, December 20, 2009

Busy Weekend

The sun is finally shining! And most of what I have to do is inside the house. :p

I did get out yesterday and found my new boots at Sears. I ended up with Covington brand, style name Paulette, which is really funny because that's my mother's name. Then I headed to Best Buy. I picked out the the LG 22x Internal Super Multi DVD Rewriter, and since I had gotten such a good deal on the boots, I also picked up Breaking Benjamin's new album Dear Agony for the song "I Will Not Bow" and AFI's Decemberunderground for the song "Prelude 12/21."

I had heard "Prelude 12/21" on a Tin Man fanvid that has been killed off YouTube since, but SEE there's not reason to go anti-pirate on fanvids! I bought this CD because of that fanvid! "I Will Not Bow" sounds like the Strix universe, and I think that's where I put their whole Phobias album.

I spent the rest of Saturday installing the DVD burner with a long break for dinner with Mom. I also made sure to find out if I could add more RAM to my motherboard while I had everything open. I only have 256 MB, and this could be why I have hiccups in programs and slow running speeds. There is room; I just have to budget for it. :p

Oi, physically installing the DVD burner took no time. Trying to get the software installed--that's went over three hours. I started only checking on it during commercial breaks from the Doctor Who Inside the Tardis special and Doctor Who: The Waters of Mars. While I waited, I listed computer plans:
  • Setting up the portable local development environment
  • Clean the duplicate files off the external hard drive
  • Replace front power switch
  • Replace chip fan
  • Install more RAM
  • Get a Dazzler DVD Recorder
  • Get a scanner that feeds paper through it
  • Get a new computer desk
Wonderful, I finally got to install Nero 7. I think I had to reboot five times. Finally, all done and it works! I watched Alice again to make sure that part worked. Now I need to testing the burning.

Thoughts on Doctor Who: BBCAmerica is showing The End of Time Part One on Boxing Day! This never happens with Doctor Who! I usually have to wait a whole frakkin month!

Holy shit, the lighting in his spacesuit helmet making his face a skull. Director, that was GENIUS! This episode really expands the argument that the Doctor is an incarnate of the god of entropy--if not the god himself. This idea came up with a discussion in Rich's The Ten Doctors webcomic:
Dave Says:
December 5th, 2007 at 12:54 am

I believe the Doctor’s best subject at the academy was thermodynamics, according to a conversation he had with Drax in the final part of the Key to Time series. Granted, this is the kind of thermodynamics that would allow him to cancel out the formation of a black hole with a supernova within the time vortex so as to allow energy to remain constant as evidenced in the most recent Children in Need special, but there you have it.

DrkFire666 Says:
December 5th, 2007 at 2:43 am

I think Dave is right. Thermodynamics does seem to suit The Doctor, particularly the 2nd law.

“Entropy increases… Yes daily, The more you put things together the more they keep falling apart. That’s the essence of the 2nd law of thermodynamics and I never heard a truer word spoken.”
–The 4th Doctor, Logopolis [Season 18 - Episode 7]

“Everything has its time and everything dies.”
–The 9th Doctor, The End of the World [Series 1 - Episode 2]

Rich Says:
December 5th, 2007 at 6:11 am

7th Doctor (looking at a broken machine he doesn’t remember building): No, looks pretty far gone. You’d need a genius to unravel it.
Rani (disguised as companion, Mel): But you’re a genius.
Doctor: Oh yes, I definately remember that.
Rani: Especially in thermodynamics.
Doctor: ….How did you know that, Mel?
Rani: You told me. You said it was your best subject at the academy.

-”Time and the Rani”

DrkFire666 Says:
December 6th, 2007 at 2:33 am

“Back when I first started, at the very beginning I was always trying to be old and grumpy and important, like you do when you’re young… and then I was you.”
– The 10th Doctor to The 5th Doctor. [Time Crash, 2007 Children in Need Special]
*Shivers*

He doesn't really like it. After all, he chose the moniker "Doctor" because he wants to fix things for the better. Sometimes, he can use entropy to accomplish that goal; sometimes he can't.

I think I'm sticking with "incarnate of entropy" because the Doctor trying to become a god is the scariest thing I have ever seen on the show. O.O "The laws of time are mine!" "We aren't just fighting the flood; we're fighting time itself!" -- Oh shit, he needs a companion. Donna said it best: "Sometimes, you need someone to stop you."

Course my other thought at the end of this and seeing the promo ad for The End of Time Part One is "Damn, talk about making it hard for Stephen Moffet." I trust Moffett. When it comes down to it, the episodes I want to watch over and over again, the ones I recommend that other non-Whovians need to watch have all been written by him. :)

I can't decide what I'm more excited by: the reappearance of Donna's grandfather or the Master or the Ood. Come on, the Ood are pretty damn cool: giant psychic hive mind of the universe!

So now it's Sunday. The Saints lost last night, but 13-1 is still a record for them and it doesn't hurt the true goal: Black and Gold in the Superbowl! I need to catch up on everything I didn't get done during the week, especially laundry since it's not storming. Let me really get started with today.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

No comments: