Wednesday, December 14, 2005

The X-Men Soap Opera

898 words today. And a heap of editing to do to get the words meshed together with the previous words, but I'm not starting that until I get 6000 words this week.

And I did a bad yesterday. I was reading what was available on the X-Men 3 movie due out May 2006. The big stand up of the X with Wolvie's claws for the 3 was in the theater when we went to see The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. (And yes, the pagan enjoyed the movie that was faithful to the books which are Christian allegory no matter how much C.S. Lewis was in ambivance about it.) Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Man's Chest preview got me hyped, so I went looking for X-Men 3's. Which a teaser is available that I can't play at work.

Anyway, I ended up reading fans whining about Gambit STILL not being part of the cast. (Best answer: Gambit was a victim of Katrina) The movie story line, which Rogue and Gambit--whereever he is--are too young to have met yet and giving a strong reason for Rogue and Iceman's connection that is in the comics, is a different creature from the comics. I know that. I also know the comics are a soap opera with sixty years of continuity. But Rogue and Gambit are part of the reason why I stopped reading X-Men (the second part being I couldn't afford all the titles).

Rogue and Gambit are my favorites. And they have passion combined with trust issues. Both combined with feisty tempers (what do you expect they're Southern) on both sides--as Rogue occassionally channeling someone else's personality--has beacoup conflict storytelling potential. But instead of concentrating on that, the writers are in a rut of "their powers keep them apart."

If Rogue can't touch, Gambit is leaking energy uncontrollably. Last I checked, it's back to Rogue can't touch in the current comics. And Jean Grey is really dead and Scott Summers and Emma Frost have hooked up. But back to the ones I care about, and why I can't read X-Men anymore.

Now all this alternating shaboinging (To my knowledge, there has been two opportunities for shaboinging: 1) when Eric the Red suppressed their mutant power in Anartica and 2) when they lost their powers after Rogue dragged Gambit back from the white light.), no touching, and combusting is supposed to keep the couple and the readers sexually frustrated and hooked into the relationship.

It's bullshit.

First reason, every so often somebody comes up with a mechanical means for suppressing mutant powers. Why doesn't Rogue keep one for recreational use? Or have Forge or Beats--both science geek--make something?

Second reason, Joseph--the clone of Magneto that had the hots for Rogue--built a room that suppressed her powers. Go in and she could touch. Now the writers killed ole Joseph off--can't have any true competition with the Ragin' Cajun after all--but he didn't dismantle the room before he died.

Shaboinging isn't the impossibility that Marvel writers want to think it is. And I got tired of waiting for the writers to wake up and remember Gambit is a schemer who think of my two points and five more to be with the woman he loves.

Really they should have made her pregnant after the first shaboing. Unprotected sex lesson and all that jazz. But then they killed Jean Grey off before she Rachel Summers, but that's getting into the whole time travel mess.

So I'll enjoy the movies. Others are talking about spinoffs with the teen X-Men. Maybe if that happens, Gambit will finallly appear. Till then, I'm content to drool over Hugh Jackman as Logan.

Read Free!
The BookWorm

4 comments:

KLCtheBookWorm said...

Jubilation Lee, usually shortened to Jubilee?

Anonymous said...

LoL, likewise :P

Though I like Gambit, don't like Rogue so much (accent in cartoons annoys the hell out of me, in movie was much better, but I liked her less overall in the first movie for being too little girly pathetic helpless), and I like Wolvie, coz how can you not XD

But then again those kinda characters had actual depth which is always a winner for me :)

Anonymous said...

ps- one incident of unprotected sex won't make you pregnant unless you were fertile at the time, and you're fertile for a day or so out of every however long your cycle is, and those little tadpoles have to make it to the egg within 24 hours of it being released coz that's about how long its lifespan is.

^_^

KLCtheBookWorm said...

I know that. :p My point is rather the writers would rather ignore the possibilities than deal with something that might make the readers think.

COuld Rogue even have a baby with her powers? If the Summers time-travelers are any indication and powers are genetically based, what powers would a kid of Rogue and Gambit have?

Besides, Rogue was having a really bad time in that span of comics and left Remy in Anartica--though possessed by his own self-loathing at the time. To wake up with his baby on the way, it just would have made her day complete. In probably a suicidal kind of way. But that's where good storytelling is.

*Sigh* So I'll just wait for the mutant war in the movie.

Oh, Rogue's accent in the cartoons was over-the-top Southern belle. You get the same thing with Aussie accents.